Frequently Asked Questions
Where are you located and how do I visit the store?
Our current Cake Gallery address is 122 Delaware Street, New Castle, DE 19720. We are on the 3rd floor above Historic Village Quilt. We do not have a storefront at this time therefore everything is by appointment ONLY.
What are your days and hours of operation?
Typically we are in the office Monday to Friday from 9am until 5pm. Tasting and consultations are scheduled between Wednesday and Friday from 1pm until 4pm based on our availability. Saturday pick-ups are from 10am until 12pm. We are closed on Sundays.
How far in advance should I place a cake order?
Any special occasion cakes with basic designs should be ordered 2-3 weeks before your occasion. Please call and check for availability for tiered or custom cakes.
Do I need to make a deposit for my cake?
Yes, you will need 50% deposit at the time of booking and your balance is due 7 days prior to your event. Weddings has different payment schedule so please contact the office to discuss this in details.
Can I make changes to my birthday cake once the order has been placed?
Changes and cancellations can be made up until 48 hours before the cake is to be picked up for basic cakes. For custom cakes changes can be made 2 weeks prior to your event otherwise there will be change fee applied.
How far ahead should I make my wedding cake appointment?
We suggest you call to book your appointment 3-4 weeks before you would like to come in, and plan to come in about 6-8 months before your occasion.
What do I need to bring with me to my cake consultation?
Occasion date, approximate number of guests, where the party will be held and directions to your venue, and any other ideas or details you would like included in your cake design such as color swatches, invitations, details from your wedding dress, etc.
Is there a fee for a tasting?
Tastings, which include cake samples, are $25 and is non-refundable once you book.
Do you make “fake” or Styrofoam layers?
Some customers have asked if we could use Styrofoam as opposed to cake to ‘pump up’ the height of their cake. We typically do not do this, just because of the simple fact that the same amount of work, time, and detail is put into your cake whether it is cake or Styrofoam. Please check with our wedding consultant for more info.
Can you send me a brochure or additional photos of cakes you’ve done in the past?
We typically suggest either looking at our website or stopping in to either take a look at our wedding album, and looking at our wedding cake models on display around the gallery. Our wedding gallery is by appointment ONLY so make sure you call the office at 302-721-5798 to schedule the time.
Do you accept apprentices and interns?
Yes, however it is a demanding position which requires professionalism and a fair amount of artistic/culinary skills. Therefore, you must submit a resume as well as come in to meet with us personally to fill out a formal application and discuss what you are interested in learning. Baking/Culinary experience is required.
Do you teach decorating or baking classes?
Yes we do. Please go to our Classes Page for more info.
What’s the best way to contact us?
The fastest and easiest way to contact us is via telephone or by using the forms provided on this site. All messages will be returned within 24 hours.
Do you ship cakes?
Unfortunately we do not ship cakes via postal or courier services. You can pick-up your cake at our kitchen or we deliver wedding and larger specialty cakes to catering facilities and/ your venue. Depending on how far your venue is from the bakery, there will be a delivery charge. Please refer to our pick-up and delivery policy.
- Please be advised that delivery times cannot be guaranteed. All timed requests will be noted and prioritized, however, DBD cannot guarantee a specific delivery time. In an effort to maximize efficiency, DBD reserves the right to reschedule deliveries after customer’s consent.
- Once the cake is set up, accepted by a person in-charge, and DBD employees have left the premises, we are no longer responsible for anything that happens to the cake.
- Concerns regarding cake design, flavors, etc. must be made on the next business day and DBD will do our best to contact you within 24 hours.
- We are not responsible for any damage incurred to a cake due to inclement weather or any other unforeseen events that are out of our control. We make every effort to make sure your cake is delivered in perfect condition; however, sometimes unforseen events will occur.
- Customer MUST inspect their cake and any concerns regarding cake design must be made at the time of pick-up. Design changes that were not originally agreed upon at the time of booking will NOT be made. If for any reason design changes are made by customer’s request and not as a result of DBD’s error, there will be an additional fee if staff and time permit.
- Once a cake has been picked up by you or a designated party it is considered “accepted”. All products are the responsibility of the customer once it leaves Desserts by Dana premises.
- Concerns regarding cake’s flavors must be made within the next business day and DBD will do our best to contact you within 24 hours.
- We recommend delivery on any large custom, 3D cakes, or tiered cakes. If you choose to pick up your cake, please keep the following in mind:
- Any time you pick up a cake, it is always a good idea to have a large flat area in your vehicle dedicated for transporting the cake. We will be happy to help carry your cake out to your car if requested. Putting cakes on people’s laps or on the seat of your car is NEVER recommended. The floor of your car is often the best place for putting a cake. For full sheet or tiered cakes, you should make arrangements to pick up your cake in an SUV or van. If possible, bring a friend to help.
- Drive slow, keep your car COLD.
- Keep your cake in a cool area out of direct sunlight until serving.
- Cake and icing are very fragile. Speeding, going over bumps, slamming on the brakes, a wobbly table, someone bumping the table, leaving it in the car in hot weather, leaving it in your warm home in hot weather can cause damage that we are not responsible for.
- If any of the above occur after you have picked up the cake which results in damage to the cake, we will not be responsible for any of the damage or consequential damages or expenses that you incur.
- We might be able to repair it, but you may incur a charge.
- We’ve had lots of customers pick up their 3D and tiered cakes without a problem, but please keep in mind we are not responsible if damage occurs to your cake.